December 9th, 2006
Taking a break from family updates, (I’ll be shopping a bit more later tonight), I’m doing this MeMe that is circling around the internet.
I think I’ve added to this thing about 6 times since I first posted it. I need to stop picking at it!!
1. What did you do in 2006 that you’d never done before?
Invite a musician I only knew from MySpace to spend a couple days at my place when he was coming through Calgary in June. Smartest thing I think I’ve ever done.
2. Did you keep your New Years’ resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I don’t think I actually made any, although I probably started the year promising myself I’d stick to a healthy diet and exercise, and then not do it. I’ll have to check my archives lol. I’m definitely not making any for 2007, I’m just going to do my best.
Update later - Oh! I remember now, my resolution for 2006 was to keep a Daily Gratitude journal. I kept it up pretty good for awhile there, but recently got bored with it… I may give it another go at some point, but I didn’t notice anything life-changing about it.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
My cousin, a client’s wife, an old friend (in her car! On the side of the road!), and Angelina Jolie.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
5. What countries did you visit?
I didn’t leave the country.
6. What would you like to have in 2007 that you lacked in 2006?
More money/less debt, and better health!
7. What date from 2006 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
April 29, the day I brought Pita and Pepper home!
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
I did a lot of things I’m proud of, come to think of it… but cutting out wheat, dairy and refined sugar since Nov. 18 is definitely one of the biggest. Taking a trip to Montreal only a month after all my hospital stuff was quite an achievement as well.
9. What was your biggest failure?
Not committing to and doing daily exercises that will only HELP ME.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Uh… yeah!! I’d say so. Breaking my (good) wrist June 9, the subsequent 7 week stay in a care facility, only to come out and go back to the hospital to have my gall bladder removed, and due to MS-related complications not come home for another 2 weeks. 9 weeks of not walking/moving much really compromised my mobility, and I’m still trying to get it back to at least the way it was. It’s been a rough year in that regard.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
T-shirt sheets. Ticket to Montreal. And all the things I’m buying now for the Pay it Forward Family.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
My mom’s. With everything I was going through over the summer, as my mother she feels it worse than me I think. But she only showed me strength and positivity, and never complained when I needed help doing everything from wiping my butt to feeding myself. (I guess that doesn’t really go in the same sentence. Oh well).
Also, all the friends who visited me in the hospital and took care of my cats for me. All the running around Shawna did for me when she was here. And, I can’t forget Rob, particularly when he happened to be here and stayed with me for a couple days after I got home from the hospital.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
People that were supposed to meet me places or made other plans with me, and never showed up or called or anything. Grrrrr!!!!
14. Where did most of your money go?
RENT. Up to $925 now and my AISH disability support is $1,000. The extra I make bookkeeping went to bills, food, and lattes. And a little trip to Montreal.
15.What made you really really really excited?
Getting my kittens!!!! And going to Montreal!!
16.What song will forever remind you of 2006?
Lindy’s version of “Fast Car” live at the Yellow Door in Montreal.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you: a) happier or sadder? Hmmm… a little happier I think, thanks to the great friends I have and made. b) thinner or fatter? Fatter. c) richer or poorer? A little poorer, but pretty much the same. Just more debt!
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
20. How will you be spending Christmas?
At my mom’s! I’ve given her recipes for wheat free etc. baking so we can have some goodies. No cheese ball (my mom makes the BEST cheese balls), shortbread or chocolate for me this year. Wah!!
21. How will you be spending New Year’s?
I’d like to go to the Pub’s NYE bash because I really like the band playing, but with the shortage of cabs in this city right now, and NYE is bad enough without that added problem, I’d never get home. I’ll probably just stay in like I did last year, unless AH can come get me.
22. Did you fall in love in 2006?
Madly, with Pita and Pepper.
23. How many one-night stands?
24. What were your favorite TV programs?
The Office, Scrubs, Desperate Housewives, Corner Gas, Arrested Development (I watched the DVDs)
25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
I don’t believe so, no.
26. What was the best book you read?
I have sooooooooo many books that I haven’t read yet and I rarely seem to get through any, I’m so bad with the reading… maybe that will be my new year’s resolution. Less time at the computeer, more time reading! Anyway, my favourite that I actually read all the way through was You Have to Kiss a Lot of Frogs (which I won through Robyn’s Giveaways. Yay!)
27. What was your greatest musical discovery?
ROB SZABO. Well, actually, I believe I discovered him in late 2005 but didn’t see/meet him and truly appreciate his greatness until 2006. So I’m sticking with that.
28. What did you want and get?
29. What did you want and not get?
Zero balance on my credit cards, a slim and fit body, an amazing boyfriend. There is always next year.
30. What was your favorite film of this year?
I didn’t actually go to a movie theatre ONCE. I haven’t seen any recent movies. I did, however, buy What is Indie and that is really good.
31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I was 38. I got my kitties and went out for dinner with my birthday partner AH.
32. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Winning the lottery. And if AH hadn’t taken his wife back. There, I said it.
33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2006?
Easy to pull on elastic waist pants and baggy shirts. Between broken bones and stuff, dressing has not been the easiest thing, so Keep It Simple Stupid was my 2006 fashion concept. You’re Welcome.
34. What kept you sane?
My cats, my mom, Emma, Rob, AH and other friends. In the Care Facility, my room mate the last couple weeks, and the night nurse Karen.
35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Johnny Depp, always and forever
36. What political issue stirred you the most?
The war in Iraq and Gay Marriage. I’m against the first and pro the second, FYI.
37. Who did you miss?
Rob. Emma. Lobelia. Shawna. My kitties when I was in the hospital. Jason and Sheldon who were on the road so much. Some friends around here I don’t get to see much, like Lisa and Kim.
38. Who was the best new person(s) you met?
Rob and Lobelia!
38. Side question…who would you like to get to know better?
Too many people to list.
39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2006:
Getting old is not for sissies. Take care of yourself and your health. I spent 7 weeks with a lot of old people who hadn’t, and it was NOT pretty.
40. Favorite Memory of 2006?
I need more than one. Everything to do with Pita and Pepper, Rob, and my trip to Montreal!
Yes, my little babies, you totally made my year.
As did Monsieur Szabo.